Total Pageviews

Friday, October 05, 2012

Living History Loop

Last Saturday I was honored to participate in the Prairie Jubilee event at Prairie State Park about 30 miles north of Joplin Mo.  I realized that when we think of state parks we think of mountains, rivers, water falls, trees, and such.  But the Prairie State park is a reminder of what a huge chunk of the US looked like many years ago.  It turned out to be such a beautiful day. The park puts this event on every other year.  Each presenter was given a tent station and this mowed lane that run thru the prairie above the visitor center. This is me at my station.
The sign on this second photo said Walmart of the Prairie.  The guy was showing how the buffalo was so vital to the native Americans and how they used every part of the buffalo.
A little boy had just heard this guys speech and when he got to my weaving table he watched me a few minutes then said "which part of the buffalo are you using"

 
There were several covered wagons that were driven  to the park and allowed to set up camp.  So I got my picture taken by one of the wagons.  I was milking this costume for all it was worth!
 

3 comments:

Coffeypot said...

All you needed was sod hut to stay in.

dc said...

Or get captured by the Indians and live in a TeePee with the Chief. (Is it hot in here or is it me?)

MadCityMike said...

Looks like a really fun and interesting day!