Total Pageviews

Monday, March 11, 2013

Snake Oil Salesman?

Been reading this book that I think is so right on that it is scary!  It is called the Happiness Diet by Tyler Graham and Drew Ramsey, MD.  Meaning we need to eat food not only for our body but our brain.  It tells the direct link between all the processed, sugary, fatty foods that's common in the American diet now to all sorts of mental problems, no. 1 being depression. 
It is a real eye opener and really stuff that we all know deep down.  We cant eat the garbage we do and not expect to have our bodies breakdown from it. 
I know that I need to do this and only wish I could have made myself get on board with this idea years ago.  But we can't go back, only forward.  Lucky that coffee is a good thing to have. 

What I like about the book is that it goes into details of how we got to where we are and why.  When you see what all goes into things, like a dunkin donut glazed chocolate stick contains more than 40 ingredients including a preservative TBHQ, a form of butane ( a lighter fluid)  Now tell me how did we get to the place that we figure out how to put all this poisonous stuff in food to preserve food and not think that it might just be a wee bit bad for us.

I like to use the word Snake Oil Salesman when I talk about our advertisements (politicians too)  but I digress.  Anyway isn't that what we see day in and day out on TV and isn't it all for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$ ?  We are so darn smart that we are ignorant!!!  Take good healthy food and strip it of all nutrients then sell it as good for you.  You know they have been "fortifying" breads and cereals for years.  Right after they strip all the good stuff from the grains of course they have to add stuff and if you thing it is "real" stuff they add I bet you would be double wrong.

Wheee  I better slow down I am giving myself a headache.  Better just get back to reading the book and maybe have an orange.
I have a feeling I will be back to this subject again soon. (Like how to eat the way you know you should when you live with 2 skinny people who eat all this stuff or expect to have white rice, white bread, and white pasta.  Been cooking my own brown rice for a long time but sometimes its just to much trouble to cook an extra pan)
I think things are going to change around here.   Hear me roar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: