Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Terminal

As I was driving yesterday this word kept coming to my mind, as we are now thinking of this word in connection with our sister. To say that out loud, She has terminal cancer. But as I was driving along, I got to thinking, heck we are all terminal. We were terminal the day we were born. At least this body as we know it now is in a terminal condition. This body is not getting out of here except in death. A rather sobering thought huh?

And what do we do with that knowledge? We blunder along day in and day out, pretending that we will be here forever? We do, you know it as well as I do. We don't ever want to acknowledge that one day we too will be gone.

Then I got to thinking about how we feel about these mortal bodies and how we care for them. Mostly how we don't care for them. We all hate different things about our bodies. Our thighs are too big, boobs not big enough, hair wrong color, too short, too tall, and the list goes on and on.
Then how do we care for this wonderful body we have, and yes it is wonderful even if we don't think we like it. We eat crap that clogs our veins, makes us fat, gives us cancer! We put lethal things into it like drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and way too much food. Then we probably don't exercise and take care of the physical aspect. Then we have the nerve to complain when it isn't working right!! Oh, we should just be ashamed of ourselves.

But we are human and we have weaknesses. Maybe we just need to just sit back from time to time and remind ourselves that we are all terminal and how we spend our remaining time is totally up to each one of us. Wow, just think about that last part. It is our own free will and choice to live our life any way we choose! I wish I had that insight many years ago. I know there are many things I would have chosen differently but since that is all past tense we can only move fore ward, and forgive ourselves because we did the best we could with what we knew at that time. There are many things I would like to see and do, maybe it's not to late.



Thought for the day:: we know from daily life that we exist for other people first of all, for whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends.
—Albert Einstein

2 comments:

Addict said...

I am going to print this post out and stick it to my fridge so I can see it everyday as a reminder...

Anonymous said...

A well stated reminder to live our lives with intention.