Total Pageviews

Friday, January 14, 2011

trouble sleeping


Had trouble getting to sleep last nite, then woke up around 3AM and felt like I just dozed off and on the rest of the nite. I laid there and heard the forced heat coming on and it brought a memory to me that I think of once in awhile.
When I was about 11 or 12, I lived in Iowa and my oldest brother took me home for the weekend to Iowa City. He was building a house and I got to be his helper. I remember feeling pretty important. I got to fetch stuff for him and poke duct pipe under the house to him. That night I remember he and his wife and myself slept in what I think was going to be the utility room on pallets on the floor and I could hear the heat come on and feel the warm air. I think this was the first time I had slept in a house with anything but wood heat.
Now wood heat, there is another story, I remember waking up every morning and hearing my dad "shake" down the stove. For those that don't know, that is the process of using a crank to shake the grates so that excess ash falls below to a tray to be carried out and more wood or coal could be added to build up the fire. I remember sometimes that stove was so hot it glowed red.
Remember these good old days, big brother?
Thought for the day: When you are depressed it helps to lean your head on your arm and stare into space---if you are unusually depressed, you may have to change arms.

No comments: