Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Forgiveness Needed

This is my memory of summer of 1979. As my title allludes you will see later why I am asking for forgiveness of the 15 year old who was a guest at my home in rural Iowa for the summer. I think this girl and her mother arrived sort of unannounced as their destination had been to another sisters home in So. Mo. but I do not remember why they didn't get that far. Here they came towing this UHaul with a silly sign that said "where the hell is Granby Mo." We all had a good laugh about that. The mom said they had been following truckers all the way across country and how ever fast they drove they would just tailgate one as long as they could. I'm sure these two made a hit with the truckers as they traveled across country from Oregon. I think they stayed a few weeks. The girl bunked with my daughter who would have been about 11 or 12 at the time. One thing that drove me crazy and I don't think I told the guest at the time. These city girls seemed to think they had to flush the toilet all the time. Like EVERY time their little butts hit the toilet, flush....
They just didn't realize we only had this tiny little pressure tank under the kitchen sink so every time more than a cup of water was used it kicked in to refill. Now country folks are more conservative. You know "If its yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down" I really don't have any wild stories to tell on these two. I know it was a hard time for Mom trying to figure out what was best to do. Guess we will have to hear from her about what sort of plans she had at the time. I know when they pulled out, all their boxes were left in our garage, and over the next year, we repacked things that Mom would write and ask for and send boxes out to her. That had to cost. Now for the forgiveness. I have to say that I am sorry that I have held a small grudge against this 15 year old as she was allowed to smoke and made quite an impression on my daughter and I didn't learn till many years later that she had her first cig. at that time. Now isn't that a petty thing to harbor. I really am sorry for that.I feel better getting that off my chest. I am sure the cig. would have popped up at some other time. Others in the family smoked and it wasn't such a "bad" thing back then. Maybe we will have to hear her side of this story. would be interesting to see how she remembers events.

2 comments:

dc said...

Hey, I was the one who needed to be forgiven! Not you, you were just the kid. But don't worry,I forgive you if you forgive me. Big cyber hug. dc

FC said...

okayyyyy... the kiddo.. in this tale... actually.. in all reality learned to smoke from her father.. who left his habit laying around.. readily available to her.. kids being kids.. or rotten kids as the case my be..had smoked a few Salems way before the "coolness" arrived!.. lol.. Maybe said cousin was just the first one the kiddo ever smoked in front of.. Cuzz the kiddo just wanted to be cool too.. and light headed!..lol.. Ugh.. this talking is third person is a major brain-fark.... hehe.. glad ya all worked that out.. or ummm them.. those in the story worked it out!.. whew!!