Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

First Wedding Day


Today would have been my 41st anniversary. Funny how you always remember those things. I just wanted to post my memories of that day so long ago. I was only 17, and he was 19. We had nothing. I had to shop for the cheapest dress I could find, some sort of polyester straight looking street dress. Someone loaned me a little veil, I wore pink heels as they were from my prom and the only heels I owned. What a site huh? Very small ceremony. A friend of the family made us a cake, sort of a carrot cake and decorated it. We got just a few gifts, some towels, and a few items for the house. Another friend of the family thought she was meaning well and gave me alittle gift on the side. It was a months supply of some type of foam cream birthcontrol. Well I did use it for about 6 mo. But we were silly and thought we wanted a baby so I quit using it. We were so hard up that we couldn't afford any thing special for a honeymoon, so we went to the Tasty Freeze for supper and went to a drive in movie and went home. We had moved what little I owned into a little cottage that his folks owned and off we were. I remember spending about 10$ a week on groceries. I think his bringhome pay was about 35 or 40$ a week. Wow hard to imagine living like that. I always felt sad that I never had a shower, ever. Not bridal shower and later no baby showers. We were new in the community when our son was born and the same when we moved to the east coast when daughter was born.
Well guess its a little late to cry in my beer huh? So that is my story of the wedding day. Oh, wedding nite was a little dissapointing, wondered what the heck I had been waiting for. Things did get better but guess not better enough.

3 comments:

Meg said...

amen sister!!

MomThatsNuts said...

I destroyed all my First wedding pictures. I give you props for keeping yours! I dont know the story, but it sounds a bit like mine, except he was in the military, so that made it bad! But, here it is, coming up the 20 years with the ETK...who'da thunk it????

Mom

Hippie girl said...

I like what em said. Ihaven't been over here much lately I missed you. now I'm going to get caught up on the rest of your blog. I saw a picture below I know that place. I can't wait to read what your doing.