Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Yes, you can OD on estrogen!!

Just a report on my ongoing hormone problems. I had written a couple mo. ago about ongoing problems with hot flashes and lack of sleep. Went to a different gyn dr. this time a female. She put me on bio-identical estrogen with the same dose I was on orally. These were patches she wanted to to use. Thought that I was not obsorbing the oral. I had also had the troublesome problem of PVC's that the cardiologist had assured me we not a problem. Yea, try to convince a nurse that every 3rd beat of her heart that sounds like a fish flopping is normal... Anyway the gyn dr. thought I was sleep deprived and to see how things went. Well in 24 hr. no more hot flashes, sleeping like a baby and within a week I suddenly noticed that the PVC"s were nearly gone. What a wonderful doctor!!! But..... a couple weeks later I noticed that I was having some side effects. Like my breasts were very sore, like nipple erectile dysfunction, that hurts. Also I was very cranky, not my cheery self, I just wanted to murder anyone who crossed me, And I was watching my diet at this time and should have lost a few pounds, but no... my rings were to tight and the scale was not going to budge, BUT< the worse was my hair was falling out. Not just shedding, really raining down my back when I combed it. Well I got an apt. with the dr. a week earlier than was orig scheduled. I told her the good news, no flashes, sleep good, PVC's gone, Bad news was the side effects I mentioned.
She laughed and said No they were the good news too. Just ment she was right and I needed the med dermally, but that it was way to much. duh, I kinda thought so. So I started cutting the patch in half, hey that saves alot of money right. Also added progesterone cream twice a day. After a week or so and no hot flashes, I cut them in half again. Have this tiny patch about the size of your thumb nail now, and so far so good. I feel so much better. Glad I didn't kill anyone, still sleeping well, and the hair fall out is much less. Hope it all grows back in. So I hope I have found the solution. I am a firm believer that you have to go after the answers yourself. Your body knows what it needs if we can just listen to it and figure it out. At a later time I will tell the story about my trip to Mayo Clinic back about 15 years ago.. dc

3 comments:

Meg said...

Wow! At least you're a smart woman with some medical knowledge, so you know, more or less, what your body should feel like. I'm with Em...glad youre feeling better.

MomThatsNuts said...

Glad your getting it figured out. You know they opened a Mayo Clinic here in Phoenix a few years back, its a pretty fancy hospital..the ETK worked there for a while...

Mom

Hippie girl said...

Glad your doing better!!! What was the name of that book you girl were talking about last time we were on this subject. my girlfriend needs some help and I couldn't remember the name you or meg mentioned.